After massive weight loss following either bariatric surgery or diet and exercising, the skin loses its elasticity and sags. This may result in self-consciousness in patients, general discomfort, vulnerability to skin infections and clothes not fitting properly.
The major skin sag usually happens in the abdominal region, upper arms, face, neck, breasts, thighs, and buttocks giving a misshapen body contour.
The most common changes that occur as a result of the loss of fat and tissue elasticity are:
- Flattened breasts with nipples pointing downwards
- Sagging upper arms that appear loose
- Extended abdominal area around the sides and lower back
- Sagging groin, thighs and buttocks
Thankfully, plastic surgery has an effective solution to this problem- Body Lift Surgery.
Body Lift is an excellent treatment option that helps in removing excess skin, tightening loose muscles and even removal of the fat left behind.
It results in improved body contours and is usually the last step after massive weight loss to achieve a shapely body.
Body lift surgery is usually divided into various categories -Lower Body Lift, Mid Lift, Upper Body Lift and Full Body Lift.
The patient may choose either of these procedures depending on the location of extra skin and his/ her concerns.
It is important to note that the body lift is a highly customizable to the unique needs of the patient.
Besides, body lift is a complex surgery and needs a well trained and experienced surgeon. If you are sure you need a body lift surgery, you should find a board certified surgeon who is well trained to perform the procedure.
It is of utmost importance that you have a stable body weight for at least three months before you opt for a body lift plastic surgery.
If you are still in the process of losing weight, you should wait till you have lost all the excess weight or do not plan to lose any further weight. The ideal scenario is to have a stable weight for at least last six months to a year when you undergo the surgery, else the results may get compromised.
Ideal candidates for total body contouring are males and females who:
- Have lost 40 to 50% of the excess body weight
- Are above 18
- Have stable body weight for at least three months
- Suffer from loose, droopy skin around your abdomen and/or other parts of the body
- Do not have any medical condition that may impair healing
- Are Non-Smokers
- Females who do not plan to become pregnant after the surgery (as that may compromise the results)
- Are in good physical and mental health
- Have realistic expectations from the surgery.
Lower Body Lift
Lower body lift usually sets the stage and is performed on the sagging abdomen, outer thighs and hips and waist are corrected. The commonly done procedures under lower body lift are:
Tummy tuck / Belt Lipectomy - Also known as the belt lipectomy, the incisions extend around the body to remove excess skin and fat from the entire belt.
Circumferential Thigh Lift – Uplifts the skin of thighs circumferentially.
Butt Lift – Uplifts skin of the buttocks, and gives them a fuller and youthful appearance.
Thigh Lift- Tightens the inner thighs by removing extra skin and tightening the loose muscles. Groin area is also corrected at the same time.
Mid and Upper Body Lift
When the concerns of the patient include upper and mid body also, a mid-body lift and upper body lift are also recommended.
It is, however, important to note that these are extensive procedures and cannot be done at the same time. Your cosmetic surgeon would guide you about the procedures that can be combined and what should be the gap between the procedures.
The Upper and Mid Body lift may comprise the following procedures. However, since every patient’s concerns and requirements are different, the surgery is customised.
Breast lift surgery uplifts the sagging and flat breasts and gives them perky appearance. Sometimes a breast implant may also be used to improve the shape and size of the breasts.
When the concerns of the patient are not just the breast or chest in males, but the loose skin under the arms or at the upper back also, a midsection lift is recommended by the cosmetic surgeon. Midsection lift gives a 360 degrees correction of the upper back and loose skin around the chest.
In massive weight loss patients, the skin of the arms also becomes loose, giving bat wings kind of an appearance, which is corrected by an arm lift.
Arm lift, also known as Brachioplasty removes the sagging skin from the upper arms. The procedure is performed by making an incision on the inner side of upper arm resulting in well-toned arms and youthful contours.
Face and Neck Lift
After major weight loss, the facial skin loses elasticity resulting in drooping of cheek pads, jowls appear and jawline becomes ill-defined. The skin of the neck also becomes loose and sagging.
The face and neck lift tones up the facial and neck skin and raises the cheek pads, corrects jowls and removes loose skin. Face and neck lift give fantastic results and leave little or no scars giving a rejuvenated and younger looking appearance.
Body Lift Cost
Since body lift is a highly customised surgery, the cost of body lift varies with the unique requirements of the patient. The cost depends on various factors, the most important of which are listed below:
- Type of Body lift you undergo- Whether you need just an upper body lift, or lower body lift or full body lift determines the price you pay for the surgery. If the surgeon works on full body, the cost is definitely much higher than just working on upper body or doing a limited lift. Typically a full body lift in the USA may cost anywhere between US $15,000 to $25,000 and can even go up to US $50,000.
- Whether or not procedures are combined- When doing a full body lift, your surgeon may choose to combine a few procedures or may want to stagger them to avoid long duration of anesthesia to aid in swift recovery. This decision depends on your medical condition and the surgeon’s preference. When the procedures are staggered, the cost is higher as compared to combining procedures and doing them at the same time.
- How much fat you have- Patients who need liposuction to remove extra fat before the procedure will have to pay more for the liposuction than those who only need the body lift.
- Surgeon’s experience- It is well known that an experienced surgeon charges more than a novice surgeon. However, since body lift is a major surgery, you should not compromise with health and safety just to save a few dollars.
- Place where the surgery is performed- The cost of any plastic surgery varies greatly with the location where the surgery is being done with great variation from one country to another and significant variation within the same country also.
For example, the cost of body lift in US varies from $15,000 to $50,000, £ 10,000 to £ 30,000 in UK, AUD 25,000 to 60,000 in Australia; whereas in a country like India, full body lift costs around $7000-8000 with the same quality of services and with surgeons equally qualified and experienced.
Body Lift Surgery Cost in India
The cost of Body lift in India is a fraction of what it costs to get the surgery done in any Western country. Even if you add flight and accommodation, the cost of body lift in India is much cheaper than undergoing the procedure in US, UK, Canada or Australia.
This in no way means compromising on the quality. India has few of the best cosmetic surgeons in the world, they are board certified and are well experienced, hospital facilities are excellent, language is not a problem- the doctors, nurses and all medical staff speak English, there is no waiting time and your surgery remains confidential.
You can also combine your trip with a visit to an exotic location in India which most of the travelers love to do before their surgery.
Finding the Right Surgeon for your Body Lift
Finding the right surgeon for your plastic surgery can be really tedious especially when you are considering plastic surgery abroad.
However, companies like IndiCure can help you with not only choosing the best surgeon, we can also help you get the best cost at the hospital, help you with visa formalities, arranging accommodation, help you connect with previous patients and everything you may need to plan your trip and make an informed decision.
IndiCure is the most renowned name for proving cosmetic surgery in association with best cosmetic surgeons in India. With hundreds of satisfied and happy clients from across the world, IndiCure understands your expectations well and anticipate your requirements well.
We have specially designed body contouring packages for you to help you get the best of your trip to India.
For further information, write to us at email@example.com or call us at +91 93200 36777 (India number) or +1-877-270-2448 (US Toll Free) or talk to us at Skype@Indicure.