Losing massive amount of weight may look like a daunting task, but advancements in Obesity and metabolic surgeries have now helped the obese overcome this challenge. Massive Weight loss to the tune of hundreds of pounds is common after bariatric surgeries like Roux- en-Y and VSG, however, the bigger question is- Is that the end of the journey?
No, in fact, it is the beginning of another journey- the battle to overcome miles of loose skin, instead of piles of fat! The situation may sound disheartening, but there definitely is a solution.
When a patient undergoes massive weight loss, the skin loses its elasticity and is not able to bounce back to its original shape, thus hanging loose. This leads to the excess skin around tummy, flanks, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and loose hanging breasts in the case of females and excess skin on the chest area in males, typically all the areas where one tends to lose weight from. This is when the need for Body lift arises.
Body Lift is a comprehensive surgery, which addresses skin laxity and refines the tone and shape of tissue underneath by removal of excess, sagging skin. The procedure is extremely effective and makes a huge difference in the body contours. It gives a firmer and taut look, greatly boosting the confidence and body image of the individual.
Benefits of Body Lift Surgery:
Body Lift surgery is the “Go to” procedure for patients with massive weight loss as it corrects the circumferential descent and gives an overall improvement to the patient. The various advantages of Body lift surgery are:
- Circumferential correction at multiple body areas
- Much better and defined body contours with taut appearance
- Better fitting clothing
- Enhanced self-esteem and positive body image
- Relief from rashes and other skin problems caused due to excess skin
Types of Body Lift:
Body Lift or Full Body lift surgery is an umbrella term, under which come different areas of the body, which may or may not be treated at the same time. Depending on the areas of laxity, Body lift surgery may be divided into Upper, Mid or Lower Body Lift.
Lower Body Lift
Lower Body lift surgery, medically known as Belt Lipectomy, is the starting procedure for a Body lift. The procedure corrects the mid- section of the body, including abdomen, flanks or love handles, lower back, buttocks and outer thighs. This involves a circumferential incision, which goes 360 degrees around the body. The procedure also involves tightening of the abdominal muscles by bringing the splayed right and left sides together to give a flat and taut abdomen. The surgery is done under general anesthesia and takes around 4-6 hours, depending on the extent of extra sagging skin.
Before Lower Body Lift
Before Lower Body Lift
After Lower Body Lift
After Lower Body Lift
Benefits of the procedure include:
- Removal of excess skin in front giving a flattened tummy
- Removal of excessive flank laxity
- Raising of the descended buttocks
- Tightening of the outer thighs
Upper Body Lift
Similar to the Lower body lift, the Upper body lift is a circumferential 360-degree surgery, which corrects the upper half of the body, including the breasts/ chest area, lateral sides of the chest, upper back and arms. The procedure also corrects the skin rolls on the back and gives a smooth, taut contour.
However, unlike Lower body lift, body lift surgery for upper half is more flexible and can have variations, wherein an extended breast lift and arm lift surgeries can be done, as per the patient’s needs and requirements.
Though the body lift surgery greatly improves the body contours, like all resection surgeries, there are scars involved. Nonetheless, these are given in inconspicuous areas and gradually fade away with time.
Frequently Asked Questions Body Lift Surgery
Can Upper & Lower Body lift surgeries be combined together?
It is not a good idea to combine upper and lower body lift surgeries, since both work in different directions. Most senior surgeons advise staging the procedures with a gap of around 3-6 months in the two procedures, for best results.
The two major reasons for not combing upper & lower body lift surgeries are:
- Both are major surgeries and long procedures ranging from 3-6 hours each, so combining these would make the surgery very long and thus the anesthesia time would be extremely long, which is not very safe for the patient.
- The second important reason is that both surgeries work in opposite directions- In Lower body lift, the buttocks and lower back is pulled up and depend on the blood supply of lower back, whereas in upper body lift, the upper back and lateral chest area are pulled down and bank on the blood supply of upper back, thus both working in different vector directions, with chances of compromised blood supply.
Also, staging the surgeries gives the patient sufficient time for recovery.
Why do I need a 360-degree body lift after massive weight loss, rather than a tummy tuck, since my major area of concern is tummy only?
Abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck does not work in patients with massive weight loss since the descent is 360 degrees, all around the body. Doing a tummy tuck, which takes care of the skin on the tummy and part of flanks, will leave chasing the skin excess on the sides and back and thus this skin will hang loose even after the surgery.
Notice that tummy tuck would have addressed only the loose skin of tummy whereas body lift takes care of loose skin all over
- What kind of anesthesia would be used for my Body Lift surgery?
Since body lift surgeries are long procedures, they are performed under General Anaesthesia for the complete comfort of the patient.
Is it a good idea to combine Liposuction with Body Lift?
As a general rule, it is not advisable to combine extensive liposuction of an area which is also to be resected, like in a body lift. This is so because of the following reasons:
1. In patients with massive weight loss, the skin has already been stretched to more than its physiological limits. The skin is elastic but upto a point. If it is stretched beyond this limit, it loses the ability to contract when the fat has been removed. Which is why the skin sags and the excess skin has to be surgically removed.
2. Liposuction is a rapid means of removing fat. When this is performed under a skin which has already been stretched beyond a limit, one cannot expect the skin to contract and give a good contour, it will further sag.
3. Another reason is that the liposuction sets up an area of ‘injury’, where the cannula is injected, which may cause issues of wound healing, fluid collections, seromas etc.
There are very few areas where liposuction can be performed in people who have undergone massive weight loss, for example, the arms, and limited abdominal liposuction in the tummy area.
Body lift surgeries are life changing procedures, so it is very important that you choose your surgeon carefully. The surgeon that you choose to work with should:
- Be well qualified and have board certification
- Have adequate training to perform Body lifts
- Be deft and well versed with various types of body lift procedures
- Make you feel comfortable and should be available to answer your queries
- Have good bedside manners
How do I prepare for my Body Lift surgery?
As a general rule, you need to be fit, active and healthy prior to your surgery. This will not only allow your body to tolerate surgery better but will go a long way in assisting early and effective recovery.
The basic preparation required for the surgery involves:
- Diet: Please stick to a ratio of approximately 40:30:30 of proteins, carbohydrates, and fat before your surgery. Eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits. Drink lot of water.
- Do plenty of exercises. This keeps the blood flowing especially from the legs, and reduces the chances of deep vein problems.
- Smoking is a complete no-no. Smoking can cause delayed recovery, wound breakdown and increased risk of infection. In any case, smoking needs to be completely stopped for 4 weeks before and after surgery.
- Alcohol too should be avoided, for at least a couple of weeks before and after surgery.
- Medications: It is extremely important to have a list of all medications that you are taking. Some of these may have interactions with medicines that are used after surgery. Any intolerance, allergy or anything like this should be mentioned.
It is really important that any and all information be passed on to the surgeon and anesthetist for their review.
You could also read important information about Body Lift surgery in this article.
Body Lift Surgery in India
Body Lift surgery in India is performed regularly by some of the senior most and Board certified surgeons, who are internationally trained and have several years of experience behind them in performing these procedures. Since Body lift surgeries are highly specialized procedures, it is imperative that the surgeon has received specialized training for the same.
Body lift surgeries are performed at the best cosmetic surgery hospitals in India, which are equipped with the latest and most sophisticated technology so that the patients get the best surgical outcome.
Full body lift cost in India
Body Lift surgeries are comprehensive procedures and very expensive in the US and other Western countries. Full Body lift cost in India, on the other hand, is very affordable and one of the major reasons why so many people travel to India for their Upper/ Lower or Full Body lift.
Full Body lift cost in India varies depending on the extent of skin laxity, the age of the patient and several other factors. The cost for Lower body lift in India with top cosmetic surgeons starts from as low as US $ 4000, whereas the cost for the same surgery in the US is as high as $ 20,000.
If you wish to get a Total Body lift and ready for the first stage of Body lift in India, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +1-877-270-2448 (US Toll free) or +91-932-003-6777 or talk to us on Skype @ indicure
We have on our panel few of the best cosmetic surgeons in the world who are specially trained to perform body lift procedures. With hundreds of happy patients from across the world, we understand your requirements from plastic surgery abroad well.